Do traditional sketchbooks bother you? Would you like to learn to work more freely? Want to get excited about your creativity? Are you looking for a new direction in your work? Then this is the weekend workshop for you!
Over two full days you will create your own mixed media concertina sketchbook, bursting with colour, texture, and marvellous marks.
Concertina Sketchbooks open out a bit like a piano accordion and are a versatile and budget friendly way to explore new ideas. Learn a variety of mixed media methods and techniques that will help you to work in fresh and freer ways. Discover, most importantly – what ignites you, but also what you’d rather not repeat in a low stakes format.
Tutor: Shona Mackenzie
Date: Saturday & Sunday, 6th & 7th August
Time: 9.30am -3.30pm
Place: The Artery, Historic Village, 17th Ave
To book: www.theincubator.co.nz/the-artery
Participants must bring:
An art shirt or apron
Gloss or matt acrylic medium
* A pair of scissors, glue stick and metal ruler
* An old clean Chinese takeaway container with lid (or similar clear shallow container
* A variety of acrylic paints, and or inks
* A variety of drawing mediums such as oil pastels, charcoal, wax crayons, pencils, pens etc.
* A variety of scrap paper to collage with this could be lettering or patterns from magazines, corrugated cardboard, old letters, discarded drawings or paintings gift or tissue papers etc.
* A variety of mark-making tools eg. big and small brushes, palette knife, an old plastic credit card, skewers, an old spatula, a twig, bubble wrap etc.
A great time to clear our your art drawers and bring in things you’ve not got round to playing with yet. If you are coming with a friend, it could be a good time to pool resources.
Having studied in Glasgow, in the Borders at the Scottish College of Textiles and later Education at the University of Auckland, Shona has a background in art, creative design and pedagogy. After many years teaching she has returned to art full time as a resident artist and tutor, at the Incubator Creative Hub. Shona’s current work is heavily influenced by nature. She intuitively incorporates the layers of colour, texture and movement that surround her rural tiny home into each unique series of work. Predominantly a process-driven artist, Shona frequently constructs her semi-abstract, mixed-media work from a base of her own mono prints. Themes around belonging and home appear throughout her practice – like many New Zealanders her family’s story means she has a foot planted firmly in two countries.
You can visit Shona in her studio here at the Incubator, in the Villa studios. Take a look at her work and follow her on Faceboook @shonamackenzieart, and on Instagram @shonamackenzie_art.