Train to Become an ESOL Tutor
Work with new migrants/refugees in our Community
This popular free course runs regularly. Check with the organisers for the next start date.
Receive an NZQA Course approved Certificate in ESOL Home Tutoring.
Work with new migrants/refugees in our Community. “Kindness knows no Boundaries”
The course is designed for 60 hours of part-time study.The Certificate in ESOL Home Tutoring is approved by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority and English Language Partners is accredited to deliver it.
- 20 hours training sessions (minimum)
- 14 hours independent study
Practical tutor training
- 26 hours preparation, tutoring and evaluation
Class times vary, and may be scheduled in the daytime, evening or weekends.
A minimum of 80% attendance at training session is required.
Course assessment activities need to be completed before a certificate is awarded. Successful graduates earn an NZQA-approved, Level 3 Certificate in ESOL Home Tutoring.
- Context of volunteer tutoring
- Intercultural awareness
- Adults as language learners
- Teaching techniques for ESOL
- Identifying learner needs and setting learner goals
- Planning tutoring sessions and using resources
- Evaluating sessions and reporting on progress
Volunteer ESOL home tutor trainees will be able to:
- Support learners as they settle in New Zealand
- Maintain an informal one-to-one English language support programme
- Assist adult language learners to develop their speaking, listening, reading and writing skills
- Assist adult learners to participate in their local community
- Evaluate their own and their learner’s performance