Watercolour Pencil Portraiture with Helen English
In these workshops participants will have the opportunity to develop both watercolour pencil and portrait drawing techniques to encapsulate both the subjects and their own unique characteristics.
Professional watercolourist and portrait artist Helen English will guide participants through the various stages of portraiture through various observational techniques and practical applications, focusing on:
- Understanding facial proportions and skeletal structure.
- Utilising different techniques to determine individual proportions.
- How to create three dimensional artworks using light and shade.
- Progression of portrait using watercolour pencils.
- How pencils differ from traditional watercolour, and the range of what can be achieved with them.
- Using both pencil and watercolour pencil to create realism or a stylised portrait.
Open to all levels of experience, ages 18 and over (unless accompanied by an adult).
‘Drawing people, from my imagination and life, has been a constant since I was very young. I spent my childhood constantly drawing in whatever medium I could get my hands on. I began painting in my late 20s, starting with acrylic and oils, however, when I discovered watercolour, in later years, it really felt like I’d found home! It’s an amazing medium – so delicate by itself but so easy to add depth to with ink or watercolour pencil techniques. I have a teaching background, primary through to adults, so combining teaching with art is my happy place’.